AWS D1.3 is a steel fabrication welding standard developed specifically for the use of steel plate. The standard specifies requirements for welding procedures, welder qualifications, supervision and inspection of welding work and serves as a guide for the safe and reliable performance of welding work on steel plate.
Brief insight into the standard
AWS D1.3 is divided into 13 chapters that detail the requirements and procedures for performing structural steel welding work. Here is a more detailed description of the chapters:
- Scope: This section defines the scope of AWS D1.3 and describes the types of structures to which it applies.
- Reference Standards: This lists the standards and codes relevant to the performance of welding work in structural steel.
- Material Specifications: This chapter describes the requirements for materials used in the performance of welding work.
- Welding procedures and processes: This section describes the various welding procedures and processes that are acceptable when performing structural steel welding work, including requirements for welding supervisors.
- Welded joints: This chapter describes the various types of welded joints used in structural steelwork and the requirements for making these joints.
- Welding details: This section describes the requirements for the execution of welding details such as holes and edges.
- Verification procedures: This chapter describes the requirements for carrying out inspection procedures, such as compression and tensile tests.
- Inspections: This section describes the requirements for carrying out inspections to monitor the quality of the welding work.
- Qualification of welders and welding coordinators: This chapter describes the requirements for the qualification of welders and welding supervisors, including the training and examinations required.
- Repair and alteration of welded joints: This describes the requirements for carrying out repair and alteration work on welded joints. This includes the requirements for carrying out this work to ensure the integrity of the joints.
- Welding of structural steel: This chapter describes the specific requirements for performing structural steel welding work, including requirements for the materials and execution of welded joints.
- Appendix of sources of information and useful tables: This appendix provides information on other sources of information relevant to the performance of welding work, as well as tables of useful information on materials, welding procedures and processes, and other aspects of performing welding work.
Overall, AWS D1.3 serves as a comprehensive reference for the performance of welding work in steel construction and is intended to ensure the integrity and safety of such work.