AWS D1.1 is one of the most widely used specifications for the welding of steel structures in the United States. It specifies requirements for the selection and use of welding procedures, materials, filler metals and test methods. The specification covers both new construction and the repair and alteration of existing structures.
The use of AWS D1.1 is required for the construction of buildings, bridges, towers, tanks and other applications operating under static and dynamic loads. It also includes requirements for the qualification of welders and the performance of welding inspections.
The specification includes requirements for the materials that can be used, including allowable steel grades and minimum mechanical property requirements. It also specifies which welding procedures and filler metals are acceptable and how they must be applied to ensure that the structure is strong and safe.
AWS D1.1 is a comprehensive specification used by engineers, architects and contractors to ensure that welding meets requirements and that the structure is strong and safe. It also requires that welding work is carried out by qualified welders and that inspections are carried out during welding to ensure that the work is carried out correctly.
Brief insight into the standard
The AWS D1.1 Specification for Welding of Steel Structures contains several chapters covering requirements for various aspects of welding steel structures. Some of the more important chapters are listed below:
- General requirements: General requirements for the design of steel structures, including requirements for materials to be used and requirements for welder qualifications.
- Welding procedures and filler metals: This chapter describes the acceptable welding procedures and filler metals that may be used and specifies the requirements for the use of these procedures.
- Qualification of welders, fusion welders and supervisors: Describes the requirements for the qualification of welders, fusion welders and supervisors, including testing and documentation requirements.
- Inspection and testing: This chapter describes the requirements for conducting inspections and tests during welding, including documentation and reporting requirements.
- Repair and alteration of existing structures: Describes the requirements for repair and alteration of existing structures, including requirements for materials and welding procedures.
- Appendix: Provides additional information and examples that may be helpful in the application of the specification.
There are additional chapters in AWS D1.1 that cover specific aspects of welding.