AWS D1.2 is a standard published by the American Welding Society (AWS) for the welding of aluminium and aluminium alloys. This standard specifies requirements for the design, fabrication, and quality control of TIG welded aluminium structures.
AWS D1.2 includes requirements for materials that may be used for welding, requirements for welding procedures, requirements for welder training and certification, inspection requirements, and requirements for inspection and testing of welded structures.
The standard applies to welded structures intended for use under normal environmental conditions. However, there are also special classes for use in special environments, such as marine or environments with increased mechanical loads.
Compliance with AWS D1.2 ensures that welded structures are safe and reliable and meet the requirements of their intended use.
Brief insight into the standard
The following chapters make up the AWS D1.2 standard:
- Scope and terms: This chapter sets out the scope of the standard and defines the key terms used in the standard.
- Normative references: This chapter lists the other standards and codes required for compliance with AWS D1.2.
- Design and calculation: Describes the design and calculation requirements for TIG welded aluminium structures, including requirements for load assumptions and structure sizing.
- Materials: Describes the requirements for materials that may be used for welding, including allowable materials, chemical composition and mechanical properties.
- Welding Procedures and Conditions: This chapter describes the acceptable welding procedures and the conditions under which they may be used, including requirements for welding positions and welding conditions.
- Welder training and certification: This chapter describes the requirements for welder training and certification, including the requirements for welder testing and certification.
- Record keeping: describes the requirements for record keeping, including documentation requirements and records to be kept during welding.
- Inspection and testing: describes the requirements for inspection and testing of welded aluminium structures, including requirements for visual inspection and non-destructive testing.
- Repair and Rework: describes the requirements for repair and rework of welded aluminium structures, including requirements for repair of defective welds.
- Marking and documentation: describes the requirements for marking and documentation of welds.
Each chapter describes the requirements and regulations for the various aspects of welding aluminium structures. It also specifies the responsibilities and duties of the parties involved.